French Onion Soup with Swiss-Topped Toast
In my opinion, the key to a delicious French Onion Soup is a dark, savory broth, which you get from beef broth. But, if you want a vegetarian version this is rather hard to do with vegetable...
Directions In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter and oil until tender. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 1 hour or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in the thyme, brown sugar...
- Yield: 6 servings
- Cooking time: 80 Min
- Publisher: Tasteofhome.com
- 3 pounds yellow onions
- 1 pound sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or 12 ounces vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
Related recipes like French Onion Soup with Swiss-Topped Toast
Get Grilled Spanish-Style Snapper with Tomato and Green Olive Salsa Recipe from Food Network...
1/2 small red onion, chopped; 12 large green olives, cracked away from pits and coarsely chopped; 1 lime, juiced; 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
With just four ingredients these fruity meatballs are on the table in 20 minutes. Serve with a side ...
Method. In a large, non stick frying pan, brown the meatballs for 2 mins over a high heat. Stir in the onion marmalade, stock and apples, then bring to the boil.
Crispy filo pastry makes a light base for a vegetarian tart filled with Mediterranean veg and feta...
Dec 11, 2013 sliced; 2 red onion, cut into chunky wedges; 3 large sheets filo pastry; 10 12 cherry tomatoes, halved; drizzle of balsamic vinegar ...
A classic Swedish side dish is given a twist - anchovies are traditionally used in this potato dauph...
In a large bowl, toss the swedes with the onion, two thirds of the cream and some ... Tip the swedes into a baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 mins.