Succulent braised venison
Venison benefits from long, slow cooking, and this Scottish dish develops a beautifully earthy sweetness - try it as an alternative to turkey, or for Hogmanay
Add the redcurrant jelly and wine to the pan, and bring to the boil, scraping up all the bits that have stuck to the bottom. Pour in the stock, then add the thyme, bay leaf, meat and vegetables....
- Yield: Serves 8
- Cooking time: 1 Hour 50 Min
- Rating: 5/5
- Publisher: Bbcgoodfood.com
- 2 carrots Carrot ka-rotThe carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root… , roughly chopped
- 140g turnip Turnip tern-ipTurnips are creamy-white with a lovely purple, red or greenish upper part where the taproot has… or swede, roughly chopped
- 2 onions Onion un-yunOnions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia… , roughly chopped
- 3 celery Celery sell-er-eeA collection of long, thick, juicy stalks around a central, tender heart, celery ranges in… sticks, roughly chopped
- olive oil Olive oil ol-iv oylProbably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's… and butter, for frying
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1kg boned leg or shoulder of venison Venison ven-ee-sunThe term venison was originally used to describe the meat of any furred game, but in Britain it… , cut into large chunks (or buy ready-cubed...
- 5 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp redcurrant Redcurrant red-cur-rantThese shiny little berries grow low on bushes, hanging from the branches like rows of miniature… jelly (or rowan or hawthorn jelly)
- 450ml dry red wine (Rioja is good)
- 450ml beef stock
- 2 thyme ThymeThis popular herb grows in Europe, especially the Mediterranean, and is a member of the mint… sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
Related recipes like Succulent braised venison
Get Roasted Venison with Poached Quinces in a Vanilla Orange Broth, Sweet and Sour Cabbage and a Pom...
Get Roasted Venison with Poached Quinces in a Vanilla Orange Broth, Sweet and Sour Cabbage and a Pomegranate Sauce ... To finish: Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Season venison steaks with salt and pepper. ... See Full Schedule ...
A hot and spicy chuck roast that can be made into burritos, tacos, or any number of other Mexican-st...
"This recipe can be used with chicken, beef, pork and even venison. It freezes well, and can be made into burritos, tacos, or any number of other Mexican style ...
This succulent and superhealthy one-pot is guaranteed to satisfy a crowd - save time and make it up ...
This succulent and superhealthy one pot is guaranteed to satisfy a crowd save ... Lamb, apricot & shallot tagine ... My absolute favourite lamb tagine recipe.
Get Roast Rack of Venison with Smoked Barbecue Sauce Recipe from Food Network...
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Season venison with salt and pepper. Heat a few tablespoons oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet. Add venison and sear well ...