Autumn piccalilli with pear
Cooking time45 min
How to prepare a pickle with a punchy tang? This autumn piccalilli with pear recipe teaches you how to make an excellent pickle that is an ideal option with cheeses. You can use this pickle immediately after reaching room temperature or it can be stored in a cupboard for 2 to 3 months. Once you open it, keep refrigerated. You can make this pickle within 15 minutes and with the correct quantity of ingredients recommended in this autumn piccalilli with pear recipe, 2500 ml can be made. Vegetables, salt and pears must be mixed in a bowl using 2 liters of cold water.
You need to cover and leave overnight.
The brine should be drained from the vegetables next day and you have to rinse briefly.
The next step is to tip into a big saucepan with mustard, vinegar, coriander, ginger and sugar.
It should be brought to the boil and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. (You must stop when the vegetables become tender but there must be a little bite.
Then, vegetables need to be drained and set aside. (Reserve the liquid)
Corn flour, turmeric and mustard should be stirred together in a large bowl.
Hot vinegar has to be poured in while whisking and stop when you get a yellow sauce that is lump-free.
Now, you must take it back to the saucepan; bubble over a low heat by keep on stirring for 4 minutes until get thickened and smooth.
Finally, you have to stir in the vegetables and then, spoon into 500ml jars before sealing.
- Pearl or silver-skin onion – 400 grams.
- Salt – 100 grams.
- Small cauliflower – 2 nos. (They must be cut into small pieces)
- Cider vinegar – 1.7l
- Courgette – 600 grams. (It should be cut into small chunks of 2cm pieces)
- Grated fresh root ginger – 1 finger length piece.
- Firm pear – 6 nos. (They should be cored and cut like courgettes).
- Turmeric – 3 teaspoons.
- Coriander seed – 2 tablespoons.
- English mustard powder – 5 tablespoons.
- Golden caster sugar – 300 grams.
- Black or brown mustard seed – 3 tablespoons.
- Corn flour – 8 tablespoons.