Butternut Squash and Crispy Sage Pizza
Cooking time45 min
This butternut squash and crispy sage pizza recipe discusses how to make a highly flavorful pizza. You can make one 12-inch pizza with the help of this recipe.
For the pizza
1) In a bowl (5-qt), yeast has to be added to the water (You can use a food container made using plastic) Salt and flour have to be added and mixed well with the help of a wooden spoon. Make sure that everything is moistened in a uniform manner and there are no dry patches.
2) The vessel must be covered using a non-airtight lid and the dough has to be allowed to rise for two hours. Ensure that it starts to flatten on the top and you should not make efforts for punching down the dough.
3) The dough has to be refrigerated for three hours at least. (Overnight is a good option) When the dough is refrigerated, it is going to collapse. The dough can be stored in the refrigerator.
4) The toppings must be prepared and the method is given below. Half an hour before you are going to bake, a baking stone should be preheated at highest level heat and it has to be placed on the oven’s bottom third. In order to stop sticking, pizza peel should be prepared with cornmeal and flour.
5) Flour has to be sprinkled over the refrigerated dough’s surface. A half pound dough piece must be pulled up and cut off with the help of a knife that is serrated. The dough piece should be held in your hands and the surface should be stretched in a gentle manner to the bottom. (Make sure that is done on all sides and the quarter turn rotation of the dough is going to make you do so while forming a ball). This method can be completed within 20 to 30 seconds and it allows the dusting flour to come off and would appear like bunched ends collection.
6) The dough has to be flattened using a rolling pin and hands on a work surface. You have to make sure that a 1/8-inch-thick round is created and flour needs to be used to dust for preventing it from sticking on the surface. The dough round has to be around twelve inches across. For placing the dough to a baking sheet or pizza peel, a dough scraper can be used. The prepared toppings must be added.
7) The pizza should be slid onto the baking stone and baked for around 10 minutes. It should be turned around 4 to 5 minutes.
Guidelines for making the toppings
1) Oven should be preheated to 400 Degrees Fahrenheit. After taking out the skin, the squash top has to be sliced around half inch beneath the stem for making a flat edge. It should be repeated on the other end as well. A crosswise cut can be made on the squash near the bulb for making the peeling uncomplicated. The seeds must be scooped out and discarded. The peeled squash should be cut into thick slices with 1/4-inch thickness.
2) The squash slices must be placed on a baking sheet and olive oil has to be drizzled prior to seasoning with salt to taste. They need to be tossed properly and replaced onto the sheet in a single layer before placing in the oven for 20 minutes. .
3) At the same time, garlic must be peeled and chopped and 1/4 cup olive oil should be added to the garlic. The dough placed on the baking sheet needs to rubbed using garlic olive oil. Fresh ricotta (A thin layer) must be spread over the garlic oil.
4) Fresh thyme needs to be sprinkled and squash slices should be used as toppings. After topping with grated Parmigiano, it should be baked for around 10 minutes.
5) During this time, the sage must be fried in hot oil for 5 seconds. Make sure that sage leaves become crisp.
1) The pizza needs to be taken out from the oven and sage leaves should be used as toppings.
- #Ingredients for Dough#
- All purpose flour (Unbleached) – 7 1/2 cups.
- Kosher salt – 1 1/2 tablespoons.
- Yeast – 1 tablespoon.
- Lukewarm water - 3 1/2 cups.
- #Ingredients for pizza#
- Sage leaves – 10 to 15 nos.
- Canola – Fro frying purpose.
- Parmigiano Reggiano (Freshly grated) – 1/4 cup.
- Thyme sprigs – A few. (You need to remove the leaves)
- Ricotta cheese (Fresh)
- Garlic cloves – 2 nos.
- Kosher salt – To taste.
- Olive oil.
- Butternut squash - 1 small.