Caramelized Onion Pretzel Rolls with Caraway Salt
Cooking time45 min
This caramelized onion pretzel rolls with caraway salt recipe teaches you how to combine caramelized onions with the nutty flavor of the caraway for making an excellent dish.
If you use the exact quantity of ingredients advocated in this caramelized onion pretzel rolls with caraway salt recipe, 8 rolls can be made and the total time for cocking is 2 hours 20 minutes.
1) Butter needs to be heated over medium heat in a skillet.
2) After adding 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and onions, you have to cook for 18 to 20 minutes. (Stop when onions become soft and caramelized).
3) It needs to be transferred to a bowl and cooled.
4) Water has to be poured into the bowl of a stand mixer (with the hook attachment) and yeast has to be sprinkled.
5) You have to let the mixture rest for 4 to 6 minutes. (You can stop when bubbles).
6) Then, sift together 1/2 teaspoon of salt, sugar and flour into a big bowl and stir properly until combined.
7) Now, caramelized onion and flour mixture must be added into the mixer and they should be mixed on the lowest speed until the dough comes together.
8) The next step is to increase the speed to medium and mix for 6 to 8 minutes. (You can stop when the dough becomes elastic and smooth.
9) A large mixing bowl should be greased with 1 tablespoon oil and the dough has to be placed into the bowl after forming it into a ball.
10) You must stop when a gentle coating is formed.
11) It should be cleaned using a damp, clean towel.
12) You must keep it in a warm place for 35 to 40 minutes until the dough rises to 1 1/2 times in size.
13) A baking sheet should be lined with parchment paper and remaining oil needs to be sued to make an even coating.
14) Set aside.
15) The dough has to be transferred to a lightly floured surface and it should be punched down and kneaded for 6 to 8 minutes. (Stop when it becomes smooth and not sticky and you have to make sure that the dough springs back when you press with finger.).
16) The dough must be divided into 8 pieces (Each piece size should be around 2 ounces) and they need to be made four-inch log rolls with tapered and slightly rounded ends).
17) Now, you have to place the rolls into the baking sheet by keeping enough room for each one to grow double in size. .
18) Across the top of each roll, you must cut three 1/4-inch deep diagonal slashes and then, a damp towel should be used to cover.
19) Place in a warm place for 20 to 25 minutes. (Make sure that the rolls become double in volume).
20) One rack needs to be placed on the top shelf of the oven and another rack must be placed on bottom shelf.
21) The oven has to be preheated to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit.
22) The caraway seeds and pretzel should be stirred together in a bowl and set aside.
23) One baking sheet must be lined with a dry towel and another baking sheet with greased parchment.
24) 8 cups of water should be brought to boil in a straight-sided skillet and the baking soda must be stirred in.
25) 4 of the rolls should be boiled by flipping in the water for 1 minute and they need to be transferred to a towel-lined baking sheet with the help of a slotted spoon.
26) You have to repeat the same procedure with the remaining rolls.
27) Allow the rolls to dry for one minute and then, transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet.
28) You have to sprinkle with caraway salt.
29) The rolls have to be baked on the oven’s top shelf for 10 to 12 minutes. (Stop when they turn golden brown.
30) They should be switched to the bottom shelf and baked until cooked through, 2 minutes longer.
31) Keep the balls on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and you can serve it warm with German mustard.
- 1) Kosher salt – 1 teaspoon.
- 2) Unsalted butter – 2 tablespoons.
- 3) Warm water – 1 cup. (The temperature should be 105 to 110 Degree Fahrenheit).
- 4) Small yellow onions – 2 nos. (They must be cut into 1/4-inch dices).
- 5) Active dry yeast – 1 package.
- 6) Granulated sugar – 1 teaspoon.
- 7) Bread flour – 2 3/4 cups. (You can keep some more dusting).
- 8) Pretzel salt – 1/4 cup.
- 9) Vegetable oil – 2 teaspoons. (Keep some for greasing).
- 10) Baking soda – 1/4 cup.
- 11) Caraway seeds – 1 tablespoon. (They must be lightly crushed).
- 12) German mustard – For serving purposes.