Chicken-Fried Steak with Peppered Gravy
Cooking time45 min
This chicken-fried steak with peppered gravy recipe puts forward a simple way of making a stunningly delicious chicken dish.
Total time for cooking is 40 minutes and this chicken-fried steak with peppered gravy can be served for 4 people.
For making the chicken-fried steak
1) Each steak should be flattened to 1/4 inch thickness using a meat mallet.
2) Salt and pepper must be used to sprinkle the steaks.
3) Milk has to be added along with egg yolks to a shallow bowl and whisked to blend well. .
4) Another shallow bowl needs to be taken and oregano, garlic powder, flour and chipotle should be whisked to blend.
5) Each steak must be dipped in the egg yolk/milk mixture.
6) Then it should be in the seasoned flour and again in the egg yolk/milk mixture.
7) This process can be finished with the last dip in the seasoned flour.
8) Oil must be heated in a nonstick and sauteed or pan fried over medium heat.
9) 2 steaks should be sauteed at a time for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side.
10) Drain on paper towels.
11) Keep warm.
Making the peppered gravy
1) Excess oil must be drained from the pan and you must leave about 2 tablespoons. .
2) Flour needs to be added and stirred to blend.
3) Cook for 2 minutes and keep on stirring. (Stop when nutty smell comes out and turns brown)
4) The cayenne, pepper, vinegar, beef stock and balsamic must be stirred in.
5) They should be brought to boil and the heat should be reduced to low.
6) Simmer the gravy for 3 to 5 minutes until it becomes thick enough to coat a spoon.
7) The chicken-fried steaks must be plated and it should be smothered with gravy.
8) It can be served with bitter greens and mashed potatoes.
- #Chicken-fried steak#
- 1) Eye of round steak - 1 pound (It should be cut in 4 equal medallions).
- 2) Sea salt – to taste.
- 3) Pepper – to taste (Freshly ground)
- 4) Egg yolks – 3 nos.
- 5) Whole milk - 1/4 cup.
- 6) All-purpose flour – 1 cup.
- 7) Chipotle powder - 1/2 teaspoon.
- 8) Garlic powder - 1/2 teaspoon.
- 9) Dried oregano - 1/2 teaspoon.
- 10) Canola oil - 1/4 cup.
- #For peppered gravy#
- 1) All purpose flour - 2 tablespoons.
- 2) Beef stock - 11/2 cups.
- 3) Balsamic vinegar - 1 tablespoon.
- 4) Cracked black peppercorns – 1 teaspoon.
- 5) Cayenne – pinch
- 6) Sea salt – to taste.
- 7) Mashed potatoes and bitter greens – For serving.