Classic Chili Con Carne
Cooking time3 hr 30 min
This classic chilli con carne recipe talks about how to make a delicious dish in a fast and easy manner. The preparation time needed for this dish is 10 minutes and the cooking time comes around 3 hours and 30 minutes. This recipe allows you to make 6 to 8 servings.
1) The oven must be preheated to 225 Degree Fahrenheit.
2) Garlic and onions should be whizzed in a food processor to chop them fully.
3) Two tablespoons olive oil need to be heated in a large casserole dish and the meat should be seared on all sides until it becomes golden.
4) Set aside and another small slug of oil must be added for browning the chorizo.
5) Chilies, herbs, spices, garlic and onion should be added after taking out from the heat.
6) They need to be cooked in the chorizo oil until turned soft.
7) Pepper and salt must be used to season.
8) Then, sugar, ketchup, vinegar and tomatoes need to be added.
9) All the meat must be placed back into the pot and 400 ml water should be added as well. (You can use red wine if you want)
10) It has to be brought to a simmer and cooked and covered in oven for 2 hours.
11) Then, beans need to be added and again cooked for 1 hour.
12) Prior to serving, the meat must be pulled apart using a pair of forks.
- Borlotti beans (400 gram-tin) - 2 nos. (It must be drained; you can use 600 grams cooked borlotti)
- Muscovado or dark brown sugar - 2 tablespoons.
- Tomato ketchup - 2 tablespoons.
- Plum tomatoes (400 gram-tin) - 2 nos.
- Cider or balsamic vinegar - 3 tablespoons.
- Black pepper - to taste.
- Sea salt - 2 tablespoons.
- Chiles de arbol - 2 nos.
- Ancho chilies - 2 nos. (They must be de-seeded)
- Fresh oregano (chopped) - 2 tablespoons.
- Bay leaves - 3 nos.
- Large cinnamon stick - 1 no.
- Cloves - 1 teaspoon.
- Ground cumin - 2 teaspoons.
- Allspice - 2 teaspoons.
- Spicy cooking chorizo - 300 grams. (It should be cut into chunks)
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves - 4 nos.
- Onions - 3 nos.
- Beef - 1 kilogram. (It must be cut into 4 pieces)