Classic French Onion Soup
Cooking time45 min
How to make a highly delicious and comforting French onion soup? This classic French onion soup recipe puts forward an uncomplicated way of making such a dish.
If you follow this classic French onion soup recipe, you can make 4 to 6 servings and total time needed for preparation and cooking comes around 60 minutes.
1) Butter has to be melted in a big heavy-bottomed stockpot and the heat needs to be kept at medium-high.
2) Onions should be sauteed for 30 to 40 minutes and you can stop when they turn browned and caramelized and keep on stirring every 20 to 3 minutes)
3) Garlic has to be added and sauteed for one minute.
4) Flour must be stirred in and cooked for one more minute.
5) Wine should be stirred in for de-glazing the pan and a wooden spoon can be used for scraping browned bits located at the bottom.
6) Then, thyme, bay leaf, stock and Worcestershire sauce (Optional) need to be added and brought to a simmer.
7) After reducing the heat to low, it should be simmered for 10 to 15 minutes and keep the pan partially covered.
8) Pepper and salt should be used to season, and thyme sprigs and bay leaf have to discarded.
9) Oven has to be preheated to 400 Degree Fahrenheit.
10) As the simmering process of the soup is going on, the baguette must be sliced into one-inch thick pieces and they should be arranged on a baking sheet in single layer.
11) They should be baked for 6 to 8 minutes and you can stop when the bread is toasted and the edges turn golden.
12) You have to remove it from the oven and set aside.
13) The oven has to be transferred to a broiler.
14) Whenever you want to serve the soup, the crocks or oven-safe bowls must be placed on a thick baking sheet.
15) The soup has to be ladled into each of them and it should be topped with baguette slices and cheese.
16) Then, it has to be placed on an oven rack 6 inches away from the heat and broiled for 2 to 4 minutes. (You can stop when the cheese melts and turns bubbly.
17) It must be removed from the heat and served immediately.
- Thyme sprigs - 3 nos. (You can use one us dried thyme instead)
- Grated cheese. (You can use Mozzarella, Swiss, Asagio or Gruyere)
- Black pepper (Freshly ground) - A few generous pinches.
- Salt - A few generous pinches.
- Bay leaf - 1 no.
- Worcestershire - 1 teaspoon (Optional)
- Beef stock - 6 cups.
- Dry white wine - 1/2 cup.
- Flour - 3 tablespoons.
- Garlic cloves - 4 nos. (Minced)
- Butter - 3 tablespoons.
- Yellow onions - 4 pounds. (They need to be peeled and thinly sliced)