Duck Meatballs with Cherry Sauce
Cooking time45 min
Have you ever made highly delicious duck meatballs glazed in a lovely cherry sauce? This duck meatballs with cherry sauce recipe teaches you how to prepare such an appetizer or main course dish.
With the quantity of ingredients advocated in this duck meatballs with cherry sauce recipe, you can serve it for 6 to 8 people and the total time needed for cooking is 3 hours and 35 minutes.
Special equipment needed - meat grinder.
For the duck meatballs
1) The skin from the duck breast must be removed with a sharp knife and then, the skin must be cut into 1/2-inch strips.
2) The duck breasts must be cut into 1-inch chunks and they have to be transferred to a baking sheet in the freezer. Keep them there for 30 minutes.
3) A large skillet should be heated and the heat needs to be kept at medium.
4) The duck skin must be cooked for 14 to 16 minutes until the duck skin becomes crispy. (You have to make sure that the fat has been rendered).
5) Now, you must remove the skin from the pan and it should be reserved.
6) The rendered fat has to be poured into a small bowl and you have to keep the 1 tablespoon in the pan.
7) The onions must be added to the skillet and cooked for 6 to 8 minutes. (Make sure that they become soft.
8) The heat needs to be turned off and the breadcrumbs and milk must be stirred.
9) A meat grinder should be prepared with the finest die.
10) The duck breasts have to be tossed with juniper, thyme, 1/4 pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
11) The seasoned duck must be run through the meat grinder into a mixing bowl and the speed needs to be kept at medium level. (You have to do it in batches).
12) The breadcrumb mixture and the reserves onion have to be mixed with the mustard. (Make sure that they are reasonably combined but not over mixed).
13) Teaspoonfuls of the duck mixture must be spooned out and they need to be rolled into 24 meatballs.
14) The meatballs have to be placed onto a small baking sheet and they must be refrigerated for 2 hours. (You can refrigerate up to overnight).
For the cherry sauce
1) One tablespoon of the reserved duck fat should be heated in the same large skillet and the heat has to be kept at medium heat.
2) Shallots and thyme should be added and cooked for 4 to 6 minutes and stop when they get softened.
3) The Kirsch needs to be stirred in.
4) The frozen cherries and their juice should also be stirred in to combine and the mixture has to be brought to a boil.
5) You have to keep on cooking for 15 minutes and stop when the liquid is reduced by half.
6) The heat has to be lowered to medium and whisked in the cherry jam.
7) It should be simmered for 2 more minutes.
8) The salt and pepper should be used to season.
9) You have to set aside after covering it.
10) 2 tablespoons of reserved duck must be heated in a large nonstick skillet and the heat has to be kept at medium level.
11) 12 meatballs have to be added to the skillet and cooked for 6 to 8 minutes until they become lightly browned on all sides. (You have to turn them frequently).
12) The meatballs have to be transferred to a large plate.
13) Another 2 tablespoons of the duck fat should be heated in the skillet and the same procedure has to be repeated with the remaining meatballs. (You do not have to cook the meatballs fully and they will finish cooking in the cherry sauce).
14) The cherry sauce has to be brought back to a simmer and it should be uncovered over medium heat.
15) The meatballs should be stirred in to combine and cooked for 1 or 2 minutes until warmed through. They should be glazed with the sauce as well.
16) You can serve with Spaetzle.
- #For duck meatballs#
- 1) Duck breasts – 2 nos. (The quantity must be equivalent to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2) Finely chopped small yellow onion – 1 no.
- 3) Plain breadcrumbs - 2 tablespoons.
- 4) Milk - 2 tablespoons.
- 5) Kosher salt – to taste.
- 6) Black pepper (freshly ground) – to taste.
- 7) Fresh thyme - 1 1/2 teaspoons. (They must be chopped).
- 8) Dried juniper berries - 1/2 teaspoon. (They should be ground in a spice grinder).
- 9) Dijon mustard - 2 1/2 teaspoons.
- #For cherry sauce#
- 1) Fresh thyme - 1 teaspoon. (It should be chopped).
- 2) Large shallot – 1 no. (1/4-inch dice)
- 3) Kirsch - 1 tablespoon. (Optional)
- 4) Frozen cherries – One 12-ounce bag. (They need to be thawed and halved; you have to reserve the juice).
- 5) Cherry jam - 1/2 cup.
- 6) Spaetzle – For serving purposes.