Farro Risotto with Squash and Kale
Cooking time45 min
This farro risotto with squash and kale recipe makes you familiarize with how to make an excellent risotto with a captivating taste. For making the vegetable stock, the stock ingredients need to be combined in a pot and brought to boil. They should be simmered for 45 minutes and after allowing the stock to cool, you can transfer it into containers. It can be kept like that for 6 months.
1) The oven needs to be preheated to 425 Degree Fahrenheit.
2) The squash needs to be cut in half lengthwise and seeds must be scooped out. (Keep the seeds for roasting)
3) The squash flesh needs to be rubbed using olive oil prior to seasoning with pepper and salt.
4) It must be placed onto a baking sheet (parchment-lined) and roasted for around 45 minutes. (You can stop when the squash turns tender) and set aside to cool.
5) The stock needs to be added to a saucepan and heated over medium heat.
6) The butter has to be melted over medium heat in a large saute-pan and cooked for 5 minutes after adding onion. (You can stop when onion becomes translucent)
7) You need to add garlic and cook for one minute; farro has to be added and cooked for one more minute.
8) The next step is to add wine and allow it to reduce fully; warm stock must be added and heat needs to be reduced to medium (You have to keep on stirring until the liquid absorption becomes complete)
9) The cooking process needs to be continued and warm stock 1/2 cup by 1/2 cup. (You need to keep on stirring to prevent scorching and you need to make sure that each addition gets absorbed prior to adding the next)
10) You also have to ensure that the farro grains expand and they need to be cooked for 1 hour. (Ensure that the farro stays firm when bitten).
11) The squash flesh needs to be pureed after discarding the skin with sufficient quantity of stock. Make sure that the mixture becomes smooth.
12) The ribs and stems of the kale must be removed from the leaves, and after making stacks of leaves, they should be rolled into cylinders and cut into thin ribbons.
13) One cup of squash puree has to be stirred into risotto and the kale strips (handful) have to be added.
14) If you want, more kale can be added and then, cheese and remaining butter need to be added.
15) You have to stir well and seasoning can be adjusted prior to serving.
- Parmigiano Reggiano - 1 cup. (Grated)
- Kale - a small bunch. (Thinly sliced)
- Dry white wine - 1/2 cup.
- Farro - 1 cup. (You can use pearled)
- Garlic clove - 1 no. (Minced)
- Onion - 1 no. (Sliced)
- Vegetable stock - 2 quarts.
- Butter - 4 tablespoons. (Divided)
- Pepper - to taste.
- Kosher salt - to taste.
- Olive oil
- Butter squash - 1
- #Vegetable stock#
- Cold water - 3 quarts.
- Black peppercorns - 1 teaspoon.
- Coarse salt - 1 teaspoon.
- Bay leaf - 1 no.
- Fresh tarragon - 2 sprigs.
- Fresh thyme - 4 sprigs.
- Fresh parsley - 4 sprigs.
- Garlic clove - 3 nos. (Peeled and crushed)
- Large leek - 1 no. (Roughly chopped)
- Celery stalk - 1 no. (Roughly chopped)
- Large carrots - 2 no. (They need to be peeled and roughly chopped)
- Large yellow onion - 1 no. (Peeled and chopped)