French Canadian Meat Pie (Reveillon Tourtiere)
Cooking time45 min
This French Canadian meat pie or Reveillon Tourtiere recipe discusses how to make an excellent tourtiere in a simple way. This recipe allows you to make 8 servings and the total time needed for cooking is 2 hours 15 minutes.
1) Oil needs to be heated in a large skillet (medium-high heat) and pork must be cooked for 10 minutes by breaking up the meat using a spoon.
2) Make sure that there is no longer pink before draining fat.
3) Cloves, savory, pepper, cinnamon, salt, celery, mushrooms, garlic, onions and stock must be stirred in.
4) They should be brought to a boil and heat should be reduced to medium-low before simmering for 35 to 45 minutes. (Make sure that only two tablespoons liquid are remaining)
5) Seasoning must be adjusted after stirring in parsley and breadcrumbs.
6) Then, it has to be covered and refrigerated to turn cold. (You can keep it even for 24 hours)
7) Pastry has to be rolled out to around 1/8-inch thickness and fitted to pie plate.
8) The filling needs to be spooned into the shell and top pastry should be rolled out.
9) Pie shells rim has to be moistened using water and the top pastry has to be covered by pressing the edges together for sealing.
10) Pastry edge needs to be trimmed and fluted.
11) Egg must be beaten with water and brushed over the top pastry.
12) Steam vents need to be created on top.
13) Now, it has to be baked for 40 to 45 minutes at 375 Degrees and you can stop when it becomes golden brown.
14) Set aside and cool for 10 minutes prior to serving.
- Water - 1 teaspoon.
- Egg - 1 no.
- Double crust pie crust - 1 no.
- Fresh parsley - 1/2 cup. (Chopped)
- Fresh breadcrumb - 1 cup.
- Ground cloves - 1/4 teaspoon.
- Dried savory - 1/2 teaspoon.
- Black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon. (Ground)
- Ground cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon.
- Salt - 1 teaspoon.
- Chopped celery - 1 cup.
- Garlic cloves (Minced) - 3 nos.
- Fresh mushrooms - 2 cups. (Sliced)
- Small onions - 3 nos. (Chopped)
- Beef stock - 1 1/2 cups.
- Ground pork - 2 lbs.
- Vegetable oil - 1 tablespoon.