Fried Potato Dumplings with Orange-Vanilla Sugar
Cooking time45 min
How to make awesome dumplings? This fried potato dumplings with orange-vanilla sugar recipe discusses how make a stunning dish in an uncomplicated way.
With exact quantity of ingredients recommended in this fried potato dumplings with orange-vanilla sugar recipe, you can serve for 10 people and the total time needed for cooking comes around 1 hour and 35 minutes only.
1) A large saucepan must be filled with cold water and the potatoes should be added.
2) It should be brought to a boil over medium-high heat.
3) Then, you must reduce the heat to a simmer for 30 minutes. (Make sure that it is cooked until a fork can be pierced easily through the potatoes)
4) It should be drained in a colander and cool slightly.
5) As the potatoes cool, the orange-vanilla sugar can be made.
6) The orange zest should be put on a microwave-safe paper-towel-lined plate.
7) You have to microwave in 30-second intervals for 3 to 4 minutes and make sure that the zest becomes dry and reasonably brittle.
8) It has to be transferred to a food processor.
9) Add sugar and vanilla bean.
10) You have to grind until the sugar becomes powdery in slight manner with bits of vanilla bean and orange zest.
11) Now, you must pour into a large mixing bowl.
12) When the potatoes cool down, they need to be peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks.
13) The potatoes should be run through a ricer into a big mixing bowl.
14) The next step is to stir in the egg, salt and flour.
15) You have to knead well to create smooth dough.
16) The dough has to be turned out onto a lightly-floured surface.
17) It has to be rolled into a rectangle (10-by-8-inch and 1/2-inch-thick)
18) With the help of a bench scraper, the dough should be cut in half lengthwise.
19) Now, you must cut across the dough widthwise. (1/2-inch pieces to create 34 rectangles)
20) The next step is to roll the rectangles into dumplings with 6-inch length. (You can use your hands).
21) It should be transferred to a flour dusted baking sheet that is parchment-lined.
22) You have to keep the dumplings for 15 minutes at room temperature.
23) A large Dutch oven should be filled with 2 inches of oil.
24) It must be brought to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit over medium-high heat.
25) The dumplings need to be fried in small batches for 4 to 5 minutes until they become crispy and golden brown.
26) In order to drain, you can transfer it to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
27) The hot dumplings must be tossed in the orange-vanilla sugar to form a coating.
28) You can serve it immediately.
- 1) Medium sized russet potatoes - 1 1/2 pounds.
- 2) Orange zest – Taken from 3 oranges (It must be finely minced).
- 3) Granulated sugar – 1 cup.
- 4) Vanilla bean – 1 no. (It should be scraped)
- 5) All purpose flour - 1/2 cup. (Keep some extra for dusting purposes).
- 6) Kosher salt - 1/2 teaspoon.
- 7) Beaten large egg – 1 no.
- 8) Vegetable oil - For frying purposes.