Cooking time30 min
This ginger cookies recipe makes you familiarize with an uncomplicated way of making top quality cookies that offer excellent flavor. If you want to bake the cookies immediately, the racks must be positioned in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
It should be preheated to 350 Degree.
Take a medium bowl.
Allspice, salt, baking soda, ginger, flour and cinnamon should be added to the bowl.
They should be mixed thoroughly with a whisk.
Take a large bowl.
Fresh ginger, Sugar (both), fresh ginger, warm butter, egg and molasses should be combined in the bowl.
Ginger chips and flour mixture must be added.
Stir well. (The dough will be soft).
Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours. (Refrigerating overnight results in best flavor and texture)
Now, the dough should be formed into 1-inch balls. (You need 15 grams dough for each).
The balls need to be rolled in the demerara sugar.
Each one should be placed 2 inches apart on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
When you bake, the sheets must be rotated from back to front and top to bottom about halfway through baking. (You must stop when they puff up, crack on the surface and start deflating).
If you want to make chewier cookies, you have to remove them from the oven when half of the cookies start deflating.
If you prefer crunchier edges and chewy centers, you have to bake a minute or so longer.
Now, it is the time to set the pans or parchment liners on cooling racks.
The ginger cookies must be allowed to cool before storing and they can be stored in airtight containers for several days.
- Ground ginger – 2 teaspoons.
- Unbleached all purpose flour – 2-1/4 cups or 285 grams
- Baking soda- 2 teaspoons.
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon.
- Ground cinnamon – 1-1/2 teaspoons.
- Ground allspice – 1/2 teaspoon.
- Sugar – 1/2 cup or 100 grams.
- Full-flavored or unsulphured molasses – 1/4 cup.
- Unsalted butter – 8 tablespoons or 113 grams. (Melted and just warm)
- Firmly packed light sugar or light muscovado sugar – 1/3 cup or 66 grams.
- Large egg- 1 no.
- Grated or finely minced fresh ginger root – 2 tablespoons.
- Turbinado or granulated or demerara sugar for rolling – 1/2 cup or 100 grams.
- Crystallized ginger or ginger chips – 3/4 cups or 113 grams. (They should be cut into 1/
- 4-inch dice and it should be shaken in a coarse strainer to remove loose sugar).