Grilled Chicken with South Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce
Cooking time45 min
This grilled chicken with South Carolina-style BBQ sauce recipe teaches you how to make a unique combination of highly delicious chicken and sauce. With the exact quantity of ingredients recommended in this recipe, you can serve it four to 6 people. Total cooking time comes around 55 minutes.
1) All sauce ingredients need to be combined in a saucepan (2-quart) and it must be placed on a back burner. (Heat must be medium-high).
2) It has to be cooked for 2 minutes and you need to keep on stirring in a continuous manner. (Stop when the mixture becomes steamy).
3) Again, it needs to be cooked for 5 to 7 minutes after changing the heat to medium low. (Make sure that the sauce gets thickened).
4) Allow to cool and then, 3/4.cup has to be transferred to a small bowl for the chicken cooking process.
5) The remaining sauce must be kept at a convenient place to use for serving purpose. (You can make the barbecue sauce and prepared sauce head and refrigerate up to two weeks.
6) The chicken pieces have to be rubbed using sea salt. (It should be done at least 20 minutes before the cooking process to be performed).
7) Keep the pieces in the refrigerator.
8) The next step is to prepare a charcoal grill.
9) When the coals turn hot and gray, the coals have to be moved to one side of the grill. (It is being done to keep one part of the grill exposed to direct heat and the other part to indirect heat).
11) The 3/4 cup of the barbecue sauce should be used for brushing chicken in a generous manner on both sides.
12) The chicken has to be placed directly over the coals and the skin side must be kept down.
13) Chicken should be flipped after two or three minutes and it has to be grilled for another set of two or three minutes. (Make sure that the chicken turns brown and a bit blackened).
14) Now, the chicken needs to be taken into the other side where indirect is available and barbecue sauce again must be brushed over the chicken.
15) Cook by covering the grill for 5 to 7 minutes and then, chicken needs to be flipped before cooking for 12 to 15 minutes. (Ensure that the chicken is cooked through and turned golden brown.
16) You can serve it instantly with additional barbecue sauce.
- #Ingredients for BBQ sauce#
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 tablespoons.
- Prepared yellow mustard - 1 cup.
- Bottled hot sauce - 1/2 teaspoon. (You can keep some more to taste)
- Dark brown sugar (Packed) - 1/4 cup.
- Ketchup - 1 tablespoon.
- Garlic powder - 1/2 teaspoon.
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 teaspoon.
- #Ingredients needed for the chicken#
- Sea salt - 1 tablespoon.
- Drumsticks (bone-in with skin) - 4 nos.
- Chicken thighs - 4 nos. (Bone-in with skin).