Italian beef stew
Cooking time40 Min
Why should you prepare a conventional beef stew if an Italian beef stew version offers better taste and aroma? It is a well known fact that Italian dishes always command a lot of respect all around the world and this beef stew is not an exception. A large number of people always relish the moment of enjoying a hearty bowl of Italian beef stew on a rainy day. Since this Spezzatino Di Manzo Recipe contains herbs and fresh veggies, this dish can be described as truly unique and many people add mushrooms to make it all the more unique and special. In a nutshell, this Italian stew can be described as a fully delicious and amazingly filling stew and, it is really hard to identify a healthier stew than this one. This recipe follows a slow cooking process to make the beef unbelievably tender and the step by step instructions make cooking extremely simple and easy to follow as well. First of all, you have to take a large enameled cast iron pot.
Pour 2 tablespoon olive oil in the pot
The heat needs to be kept at medium-high heat.
When the oil becomes hot, onion should be added.
The next step is to add celery.
The carrots also should be added.
Saute for 5 to 6 minutes.
Stop when they turn lightly golden.
The next step is to add garlic.
You need to saute for 30 seconds again.
Now, you have to transfer the mixture to a heat proof bowl.
Now, it is the time to take a big re-sealable bag.
The beef has to be placed in that bag.
Then, you have to add flour.
Season with salt and pepper.
The next step is to coat the beef in flour.
It can be done by sealing the bag and toss well to make the coating even.
Bring back the pot to medium-high heat.
The remaining olive oil (3 tablespoons) must be added.
When the oil turns hot, you can add the beef.
Stop when the beef turns brown.
Now, you have to add 1 cup beef broth.
Add red wine vinegar.
Then, you have to stir frequently.
Scrap the bottom of the pan to loosen the browned bits.
Continue this process until the sauce gets thickened.
Now, you have to add thyme.
Add 3 cups of beef broth.
Then, you have to add rosemary, sauteed veggie mixture, bay leaves, marjoram, diced tomatoes, oregano, potatoes and mushrooms.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring the mixture to a boil
Reduce the heat.
Now, you have to cover the pot.
The next step is to simmer 3 to 4 hours.
Again stir occasionally.
Stop when the beef turns extremely tender.
You must stir in fresh basil and parsley.
This Italian beef stew or Spezzatino Di Manzo can be served warm sprinkled with Romano cheese or Parmesan.
- Rump roast - 2 1/2 lbs (The fat should be trimmed off and you also have to cut into 1-inch pieces).
- Medium-sized carrots - 4 Nos. (You need to chop the carrots into 1/2-inch thick pieces and the chopped pieces should be equivalent to 2 cups).
- Celery stalks - 3 Nos. (You have to chop them into 1/2-inch thick pieces and the quantity should be equivalent to 1 1/2 cups).
- Extra virgin olive oil - 5 tablespoons.
- Red wine vinegar - 1 tablespoon.
- Large yellow onion – 1 no. (It should be diced)
- All-purpose flour - 1/3 cups.
- Garlic clove - 3 Nos. (They should be finely minced).
- Diced tomatoes - 2 cans (15 oz)
- Freshly ground pepper - 1/2 teaspoon.
- Low-sodium beef broth - 4 cups.
- Salt - 3/4 teaspoon.
- Dried thyme - 1 teaspoon.
- Russet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs. (They should be peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces).
- Dried oregano - 1 teaspoon.
- Dried rosemary - 3/4 teaspoon (It should be crushed)
- Dried marjoram - 1/2 teaspoon
- Bay leaves - 2 Nos.
- Fresh parsley - 2 tablespoons (It should be chopped)
- Cremini mushroom - 8 oz (It should be sliced).
- Fresh basil - 3 tablespoons. (It should be chopped).
- Parmesan or Romano cheese - for serving