Italian-style stuffed marrow
Cooking time45 min
This Italian-style stuffed marrow recipe talks about how to make a tasteful and filling dish for dinner. Following this Italian-style stuffed marrow recipe allows you to make 6 servings and the cooking time comes around 2 hours.
1) For filling, oil has to be heated in a large frying pan and, celery, carrots and onions have to be added and fried for 60 to 8 minutes. (Stop when onions become soft and brown)
2) Sausage and garlic should be added and cooked for 3 or 4 more minutes. (Keep on stirring while cooking for breaking the large pieces of meat).
3) Plain flour, sugar, oregano and chili flakes should be added and cooked one more minute.
4) Take red wine in a pan and add bay leaves, stalk and tomatoes before bringing to a simmer.
5) They have to be cooked for 30 to 40 minutes. (Stir occasionally and stop when the sauce thickens and meat turns tender)
6) For making the cheese sauce, butter should be melted in a saucepan (heavy-bottomed) and flour has to be stirred in. You have to cook it for 30 seconds covered and keep on stirring while cooking.
7) Milk should be stirred in and heat has to be increased before bringing to a simmer. It should be cooked for 5 minutes by keep on stirring.
8) It must be sprinkled over the parmesan and simmered for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese melts. Pepper and salt have to be used to season and after removing from the heat, the sauce surface needs to be covered using a clingfilm to prevent the formation of the skin.
9) Oven must be preheated to 375 Degree Fahrenheit.
10) Marrow should be put on the board after washing and horizontal cuts must be made in half. (A desert spoon can be used to remove the seeds and in order to make the marrow sit flat on the board; a thin silver has to be cut from one of the halves bottom)
11) A kitchen foil sheet should be placed in a roasting tin and the flat-bottomed marrow has to be placed on top. (Make sure that the de-seeded side is in the upward direction)
12) The meat mixture needs to be spooned into the hollow and the cheese sauce must be spooned on the top.
13) Mozzarella should be torn into pieces and arranged on top and, for completely enclosing the filling, you can top with a remaining marrow.
14) The foil needs to be brought up around the marrow and the edges have to be pinched to seal. Place it on the center of the oven and bake for 60 to 75 minutes and stop when marrow becomes tender.
15) The marrow has to be lifted onto a serving platter and the foil needs to be removed. It can be served in thin slices with green salad.
- Marrow - 3 lbs or 1.5 kg.
- Bay leaf- 1 no.
- Cherry tomato cans - 1 no. (400 grams)
- Beef stock - 300 ml.
- Red wine - 150 ml.
- Plain four - 1 tablespoon.
- Caster sugar - 1 teaspoon.
- Oregano - 1 teaspoon (dried)
- Chilli flakes (dried) - 1 teaspoon.
- Italian-styled sausages - 12 nos. (The meat has to be removed from the skin).
- Crushed garlic cloves - 2 nos.
- Celery stalks - 2 nos. (They need to be trimmed and diced)
- Medium carrots - 2 nos. (They need to be diced).
- 14) Onion - 1 no. (It has to be chopped).
- 15) Sunflower oil - 1 tablespoon.
- #Cheese sauce#
- Mozzarella - 125 grams.
- Parmesan (finely grated) - 25 grams.
- Milk - 250 ml.
- Plain flour - 15 grams.
- Butter - 15 grams.