Cooking time45 min
This osso buco recipe introduces a tasty dish that offers an inspiring taste.
The total time for cooking comes around 2 hours and 15 minutes and, you can serve this osso buco recipe can be served for 6 people.
1) First of all, cloves, bay leaf, thyme, and rosemary should be placed into cheesecloth before securing with twine. (It is going to work as your bouquet Garni)
2) For the veal shanks, you have to pat dry using paper towels to eliminate any excess moisture. (Veal shanks always brown better when they remain dry).
3) The meat should be secured to the bone using the kitchen twine.
4) Each shank must be seasoned with salt and pepper.
5) The shanks must be dredged in flour and the excess should be shaken off).
6) Take a large Dutch oven pot and the vegetable oil must be heated until smoking.
7) Tied veal shanks need to be added to the hot pan and they must browned all sides, for 3 minutes per side.
8) Brown shanks have to be removed and reserved.
9) Celery, carrot and onion must be added to the same pot.
10) They should be seasoned with salt. (It helps removing the moisture from the vegetables).
11) It should be sauteed for 8 minutes until turns translucent and soft and translucent.
12) Tomato paste has to be added and mixed properly.
13) The browned shanks have to be returned to the pan and white wine must be added.
14) The liquid must be reduced for 5 minutes by half.
15) Bouquet Garni and 2 cups chicken stock should be added and they need to be brought to a boil.
16) The heat must be reduced to low and the simmer for 11/2 hours by keeping the pan covered. (Make sure that the meat starts falling off the bone and you must check every 15 minutes).
17) Keep on turning the shanks and add more stock as needed. (The important thing is that cooking liquid level should be about 3/4 the way up the shank). .
18) Now, the cooked shanks need to be removed from the pot and they should be placed in a serving platter.
19) The kitchen twine must be cut off and discarded.
20) Then, bouquet Garni has to be discarded from the pot.
21) You have to add all the juices and sauce over the shanks.
22) Lemon zest and parsley can be used to garnish.
- 1) Fresh rosemary - 1 sprig.
- 2) 1 sprig Fresh thyme – 1 sprig.
- 3) Dry bay leaf – 1 no.
- 4) Whole cloves – 2 nos.
- #For cheesecloth#
- 1) Kitchen twine - for bouquet Garni and also for tying the veal shanks
- 2) Whole veal shanks – 3 nos. (They must be trimmed).
- 3) Black pepper – to taste. (Ground)
- 4) Sea salt – to taste.
- 5) All purpose flour - For dredging purposes.
- 6) Vegetable oil - 1/2 cup.
- 7) Small onion – 1 no. (It should be diced into 1/2-inch cubes).
- 8) Small carrot – 1 no. (It should be diced into small cubes).
- 9) Stalk celery – 1 (It should be diced as small cubes).
- 10) Tomato paste - 1 tablespoon.
- 11) Dry white wine - 1 cup.
- 12) Chicken stock – 3 cups.
- 13) Fresh flat leaf Italian paisley - 3 tablespoons (It should be chopped).
- 14) Lemon zest - 1 tablespoon.