Pickled corn succotash salad
Cooking time45 min
How to make a wonderful salad that offers a captivating taste? This pickled corn succotash salad recipe puts forward a simple way of making a wonderful salad. Four servings can be made with this pickled corn succotash salad recipe.
1) A grill or stove needs to be heated by keeping the flame low and the corn should be cooked in with an interval of 20 to 30 seconds. Tongs can be used for rotating the corn so that it is cooked and charred in an even manner. You can smell the corn while the corn getting cooked and a crackling sound can also be heard. Once it is cooked, it should be taken out of the heat and cooled.
2) After cooling the corn, the corn must be placed on a cutting board upright. It should be cut straight down with a sharp knife and you need to begin from the ear top. The kernels have to be dislodged from the cob. This process must be repeated on each corn side. Corn kernels can be kept in a safe place and cobs can be disposed.
3) The corn has to be layered in an even manner in a jar (2-quart) that is heatproof along with cilantro and shallots.
4) Pepper, salt, honey, water and cider vinegar should be combined in a saucepan and the heat needs to be kept at medium level. These contents must be brought to a boil and stirred well for dissolving salt and honey. When they are dissolved, heat can be turned off and removed from the heat.
5) The hot ingredients need to be poured over the cilantro, shallots and corn. They must be allowed to cool to room temperature. Then, the jar has to be sealed and chilled in the refrigerator for 60 minutes minimum. It can be done for a few weeks as well.
6) Two teaspoons olive oil should be added to a hot skillet and when the skillet is hot, onion needs to be sauteed with the jalapeño pepper. You need to make sure that they have turned soft. Then, they should be cooked for 30 seconds after adding garlic. Stop the cooking process when fragrance comes out and set aside.
7) An ice bath needs to be prepared in a bowl. A tiny saucepan has to be filled using a pinch of salt and water and brought to a boil.
8) Beans must be tossed in for 60 seconds with the help of tongs and they should be transferred to ice bath immediately. When they cool down, beans have to be allowed to dry on a tea towel. Set aside after cutting in half.
9) Cilantro, mint, basil, zucchini, tomato, nectarine and beans have to be combined in a big serving bowl. 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil needs to be drizzled and pepper and salt have to be used for seasoning. The ingredients should be tossed in a gentle manner.
10) All pickling liquid except 1 tablespoon must be drained off and. The cilantro sprigs and shallot slices should be discarded. The pickled corn has to be added to the salad along with the picking liquid (Reserved). They must be tossed well and seasoned as well.
11) The herb flowers, squash blossoms and leftover herbs can be used to garnish.
- #Pickled corn#
- Pepper (Freshly ground) – 1/4 teaspoon.
- Salt – 2 1/2 teaspoons.
- Raw honey or natural cane sugar – 1 teaspoon.
- Filtered water – 1 cup.
- Apple cider vinegar – 3/4 cup.
- Large shallot (Thinly sliced) – 1 no.
- Cilantro – 8 sprigs.
- Corn ears – 3 ears. (They need to be shucked and charred over a gas stovetop or on a grill)
- #Salad ingredients#
- Pepper – To taste.
- Salt – To taste.
- Olive oil – 1 1/2 tablespoons.
- Reserved pickling liquid – 1 tablespoon.
- Cilantro (Chopped) – 2 tablespoons. (You can keep some more for garnish)
- Mint leaves – 3 to 4 nos. (Finely chopped)
- Basil leaves – 10 nos. (Chopped)
- Zucchini or summer squash (Small) – 1 no. (It should be sliced into medallions that are really thin)
- Large heirloom tomato – 1 no. (Sliced)
- White nectarine – 1 no. (It must be cut into chunks)
- Purple pole beans or green wax (Blanched) – 3.5 ounces.
- Olive oil
- Garlic clove – 1 no. (It should be peeled and finely chopped)
- Small Jalapeno (Seeded and chopped) – 1 no.
- Small red onion – 1 no. (Thinly sliced)
- #For garnish#
- Mixed herb flowers
- Squash blossoms (Petals torn)
- Leftover chopped herbs