Pierogies with Fixins
Cooking time45 min
Learn how to make pierogies with fixins by following this recipe. It puts forward a simple method to make this dish.
Total time for cooking comes around 1 hour and 20 minutes and you can serve this pierogies with fixins dish for 12 people.
For the dough
1) Flour should be added to a large mixing bowl and you have to create a well in the center.
2) Salt, milk and egg must be dropped into the center.
3) Use your hands to mix and the dough must stick together.
4) It needs to be wrapped in a plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
4) The dough has to be placed on a floured surface and rolled out to 1/8-inch thick balls.
5) You have to cut out 12 circles with help of a cookie cutter.
For the filing
1) The garlic and potatoes should be boiled in a big pot that contains salt water for 15 minutes. (Make sure that it becomes fork-tender.
2) Drain it and the potatoes, pepper, garlic, cream, green onions, salt, butter, Cheddar, cream and vinegar must be mashed together to taste in a medium sized bowl.
For assembly and cooking
1) The potato mixture must be placed on half of a circle of dough.
2) The other half needs to be folded over the potato mixture and it should be sealed with a fork.
3) You have to repeat this procedure with the remaining filling and dough.
4) The prepared pierogies must be laid out on a baking sheet and covered with a dish towel.
5) Water must be filled in a large pot and brought to a boil.
6) The pierogies should be dropped in 4 at a time and cooked uncovered for 10 minutes. (Make sure that they float to the surface).
8) 2 tablespoons canola oil should be heated in a pan and you have to sear the pierogies for 45 seconds per side. (Make sure that they become golden).
9) The gherkins and sour cream must be mixed together in a bowl.
10) Canola oil needs to be heated in a medium pan over medium to high heat.
11) The onions must be added fried for 3 to 5 minutes until they become crispy and dark.
13) The next step is to top the pierogies with the fried onion slivers.
14) It can be served with sweet gherkin sour cream.
- #For the dough#
- 1) All-purpose flour – 2 cups. (plus some more for dusting purposes).
- 2) Milk -1 /2 cup.
- 3) Salt - 1/4 teaspoon.
- 4) Egg – 1 no.
- #For filling#
- 1) Cloves garlic – 2 nos.
- 2) Russet potatoes – 2 nos. (They should be cubed).
- 3) Grated aged Cheddar - 1/4 cup
- 4) Heavy cream - 1/4 cup
- 5) Red wine vinegar - 2 teaspoons.
- 6) Unsalted butter - 1 teaspoon.
- 7) Sea salt - 1/2 teaspoon.
- 8) Green onions – 2 nos. (They should be thinly sliced).
- 9) Pepper – to taste. (Freshly cracked)
- 10) Canola oil - 2 tablespoons (You can keep some more for cooking onions).
- 11) Sour cream - 1/2 cup.
- 12) Sweet gherkins – 6 nos. (They must be minced).
- 13) Small yellow onion- 1 no (It should be sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces)