Potato and Beer Soup
Cooking time45 min
Do you want to make a soup that combines beer and potato in a harmonious way? This potato and beer soup recipe discusses how to make such a wonderful dish.
If you follow the correct guidelines and quantity of ingredients recommended in this potato and beer soup recipe, you can serve this dish for 4 to 6 people. Total time needed for cooking this soup is 55 minutes.
1) Take a small saucepan and 1/3 of the potatoes and 2 cups of chicken stock have to be combined in the pan.
2) It should be brought to boil.
3) The next step is to reduce to a simmer for 15 to 18 minutes. (Stop when it turns fork tender).
4) The mustard should be stirred in.
5) All these ingredients must be blended to become a smooth puree using an immersion or regular blender.
6) Take a large Dutch oven and cook bacon for 12 to 15 minutes. (The heat needs to be kept at medium and stop when it turns crispy and the fat has been rendered).
7) It has to be transferred to a paper towel and drained.
8) You have to pour out the bacon fat but 3 tablespoons must be kept in the pot.
9) Convert the heat to medium-high and add carrots.
10) Salt and pepper have to sprinkled and cooked for 3 minutes.
11) The remaining potatoes, thyme, leeks, bay leaves, celery should be added.
12) Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
13) You have to cook for 4 minutes until the celery turns soft.
14) The beer has to be poured in and bring to a boil for 2 to 4 minutes. (You have to make sure that the beer has been cooked down to 2 teaspoons).
15) The remaining chicken stock and the reserved potato puree should be added.
16) You must stir well to combine and bring to a boil.
17) Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 6 to 8 minutes. (Stop when the vegetables become tender).
18) Season with pepper and salt.
19) For serving, the soup can be ladled into bowls and the reserved bacon can be crumbled on top.
20) Chives can be used to garnish.
- 1) Bay leaves – 2 nos.
- 2) Chicken stock – 4 cups.
- 3) Smoke bacon, sliced – 8 ounces.
- 4) Dijon mustard – 1 tablespoon.
- 5) Russet potatoes – 3 nos. (Large; they must be peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 6) Carrots – 2 nos. (They must be cut into 1/2-inch dices)
- 7) Celery stalks – 3 nos. (They should be cut into 1/2-inch dices).
- 8) Kosher salt – to taste.
- 9) Ground pepper (freshly ground) – to taste.
- 10) Fresh thyme – 1 small bundle. (They must be tied together with kitchen twine).
- 11) Light German beer – 1 cup. (You can use Pilsner).
- 12) Green top trimmed leek – 1 no. (They need to be cut into 1/2-inch dices).
- 13) Fresh chives – 1/4 cup. (They need to be sliced).