Potato Gnocchi With Crispy Prosciutto and Sage
Cooking time45 min
How to make an excellent gnocchi with a super fine taste? This potato gnocchi with crispy prosciutto and sage recipe gives you the best idea of making such a dish.
1) Oven needs to be preheated to 400 Degrees Fahrenheit.
2) After rinsing, the potatoes have to be placed on a baking sheet (rimmed) and holes need to be poked with a fork. Then, they must be baked for 1 hour and removed from the oven when they are cool to handle but fairly warm.
3) The potatoes need to be split in half and the flesh has to be scooped out. After discarding the skin and the potato flesh has to be passed through a ricer onto a baking sheet that is rimmed and you have to keep it an even layered way.
4) 2 tablespoons of butter should be melted, and salt, 2 tablespoons Parmigiano, egg and melted butter have to be whisked together in a small bowl.
5) It should be drizzled over the warm riced potatoes and 3/4 cup of the flour has to be sprinkled over. The mixture has to be worked to make ball using your hands. (Make sure that the dough needs to be soft and not sticky)
6) Some remaining flour should be added (Tablespoonful) and then after forming the dough into a disk, it should be cut into disks with one inch slices. Each roll each must be sliced into a ball.
7) After dusting baking sheet (Rimmed) using flour and keeping at a near place, each ball has to be worked on a floured surface for rolling into a snake with a size around 3/4 inch. Then, every snake should be cut into 3/4-inch pieces crosswise.
8) Each piece of dough should be rolled across the gnocchi paddle with your thumb and it has to be pressed down in a light way (the gnocchi needs to curve around the thumb). The next step is dropping onto the baking sheet that has been prepared. You have to repeat this process with all dough balls till the formation of the gnocchi takes place. (The gnocchi can be made to this point; they should be frozen on the sheet and then placed on the plastic freezer storage bags. You can boil from frozen)
9) A big pot containing salt water has to be boiled and after drizzling a baking sheet (Rimmed) using some olive oil, the gnocchi should be added to the boiling water in batches. (You an see the gnocchi sinking, floating and rising onto the top) This boiling process has to be continued for 2 minutes. Then, the gnocchi must be placed on the baking sheet with a slotted spoon.
10) A nonstick frying pan should be heated and the heat has to be kept at medium. A few prosciutto slices must be laid in the pan and cooked for 2 minutes. (You have to turn it once and stop when it becomes crispy)
11) They must be placed on a plate and the same procedure has to be repeated to fry all the prosciutto.
12) The remaining 4 tablespoons butter should be added to the pan and, the sage leaves must be added when the butter melts and they need to be fried until turned crisp.
13) The fried sage has to be transferred to the plate along with the prosciutto. The butter must be allowed to cook and you can stop when it becomes light golden brown in color there must be a nutty aroma as well.
14) The gnocchi has to be slid into the pan and stirred in a gentle way for coating with butter with the help of a rubber spatula. It should be cooked for 2 minutes and you can stop when there is a golden brown color crust forms on the bottom.
15) The prosciutto has o be crumbled into the pan and stirred to combine in a gentle way with a rubber spatula. After seasoning using pepper and salt, it has to be places on a platter and garnishing can be done with fried sage and Parmigiano.
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup.
- Russet potatoes – 2 pounds.
- Egg – 1 no.
- Unsalted butter - 6 tablespoons.
- Sage leaves – 15 nos.
- Parmigiano- Reggiano (Finely grated) - 1/4 cup. (You can keep 2 tablespoons more)
- Kosher salt - 1 teaspoon.
- Prosciutto (Thinly sliced) – 4 ounces.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Pepper (Freshly ground) – To taste.