Rhubarb Cream Cheese Hand Pies
Cooking time45 min
This rhubarb cream cheese hand pies recipe allows you to eat your favorite fruit in an endearing way. You need to set aside to cool prior to serving. This rhubarb cream cheese hand pies recipe allows you to make 24 hand pies.
1) For making the pie dough, salt, sugar and flour must be pulsed in a food processor’s bowl.
2) The butter pieces need to be added to the bowl and pulsed to make the pieces pea-sized.
3) 3/4 cup of the buttermilk should be added and pulsed to make the dough come together. After this process, it needs to be turned out onto a surface that is clean and knead to combine really well. (You can add more buttermilk if required)
4) The dough has to be split in half and patted into a disc. It should be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for 60 minutes at least (Overnight is the best choice). The same process needs to be repeated with second half of dough.
5) In order to make the rhubarb filling, sugar and rhubarb must be added in a medium pot.
6) It has to be covered and cooked for 15 minutes with heat at medium-low. After increasing the heat to medium level, the lid needs to be removed and cooked for 10 to 15 minutes more. (When you run a spoon across the pot leaves’ bottom, it needs to leave a trail)
7) Then, it should be removed from the beat and set aside to cool.
8) For making the cream cheese filling, egg yolk, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and cream cheese must be whisked together and chilled until ready to use.
9) The oven needs to be heated to 400 Degrees Fahrenheit. Two baking sheets have to be lined with parchment paper and one tablespoon water and remaining egg must be beaten before setting aside.
10) The dough needs to be rolled out on a well-floured surface and you need to make sure that the thickness comes about 1/8 inch. With the help of a biscuit cutter or cookie, the dough must be cut into 2 or 3 inch circles.
11) Half of the dough circles should be brushed with the egg wash in a light way and 1 teaspoon cream cheese filling and I teaspoon rhubarb filing need to be used as toppings. Each one must be topped with a second circle with small cuts on it as vents.
12) The edges need to be pressed together so that a seal is formed.
13) It has to be transferred to the prepared baking sheet and the same process needs to be repeated with the remaining dough.
14) The tops have to be brushed using egg wash and coarse sugar needs to be sprinkled.
15) It has to be baked for 15-20 minutes and you can stop when they become puffed and turn golden.
- The crust
- Butter milk – 3/4 to 1 cup.
- All purpose flour – 3 3/4 cups.
- Sugar – 1 1/2 tablespoons.
- Unsalted butter – 1 1/2 cups. (It must be cold and you need to cut into small cubes)
- Salt – 1 1/2 teaspoon.
- The rhubarb filling
- Sugar – 1/3 cup.
- Rhubarb stalks - 1 lb (They need to be trimmed and cut into half inch pieces)
- Cream cheese filling
- Egg yolk – 1 large.
- Lemon juice -2 teaspoons.
- Lemon zest – 1 teaspoon.
- Sugar – 1/3 cup.
- Cream cheese - 4 ounces.
- For assembly
- Coarse sugar
- Water – 1 tablespoon.
- Egg – 1 no.