Salt and Pepper Crusted Prime Rib with Sage Jus
Cooking time45 min
If you want to make yourself familiarize with the best way of making a whole rib roast, you can follow this salt and pepper crusted prime rib with sage jus recipe. This recipe allows you to make 10 servings and total cooking time needed is 4 hours 45 minutes.
1) Oven should be preheated to 400 Degree Fahrenheit.
2) The meat needs to be placed in a big roasting pan and it should be done by keeping the fat side up.
3) Salt and pepper have to be used for seasoning the meat in a generous manner.
4) Crushed garlic cloves, shallots, 6 bay leaves, 10 sage sprigs and 10 thyme sprigs must be spread around the roast and after pouring in 1 cup of water; it should be roasted for 45 minutes.
5) Then, temperature needs to be reduced to 275 Degree Fahrenheit and the meat has to be roasted for 2 hours and 15 minutes. (When the juices start evaporating, remaining 1 cup of water must be added to the pan and you can stop the roasting process when the thickest part reaches 135 Degree Fahrenheit while checking with a thermometer)
6) The roast needs to be transferred to a big carving board and the fat available in the roasting pan must be poured into a bowl that is heat-proof. (You need to stop when the syrupy pan juices are reached at the bottom.
7) Pan juices should be poured into a small bowl and the herbs and vegetables have to be discarded.
8) The pan should be set over 2 burners and the reserved fat (2 tablespoons) must be added.
9) 10 thyme sprigs, 10 sage sprigs, 2 bay leaves, sliced garlic, peppercorns and onion should also be added and cooked covered for 8 minutes under moderate heat levels. (You can stop when onion becomes soft)
10) After adding the wine, it has to be cooked by scraping up the tiny pieces that got stuck at the bottom and sides of the pan.
11) Then, this mixture has to be poured into a saucepan and brought to a boil over high heat.
12) Pan juices and beef stock should be added and cooked for 15 minutes over moderate amount of heat.
13) The flour has to be whisked with the reserved fat (2 tablespoons) and the resulting paste must be whisked into a saucepan to form a gravy.
14) It should be simmered for 5 minutes and the gravy has to be strained through using a fine sieve. (Keep it warm)
15) The roasts bones must be cut off and then, the meat has to be sliced into pieces of half-inch thickness before serving them on the side. (Make sure that you are cutting in between the bones)
16) The gravy must also be passed at the table.
- All purpose flour - 2 tablespoons.
- Beef stock or low sodium broth - 2 cups.
- Dry red wine - 1 cup.
- Black peppercorns - 3 teaspoons. (Freshly cracked)
- Onion - 1 no. (Thinly sliced)
- Water - 2 cups.
- Crushed garlic cloves - 1 head. (You must also keep thinly sliced 4 cloves)
- Shallots - 8 nos. (They need to be peeled and halved)
- Bay leaves - 8 nos.
- Large thyme sprigs - 20 nos.
- Large sage sprigs - 20 nos.
- Kosher salt - to taste,
- Pepper - to taste, (Freshly ground)
- Prime rib bone-in roast (14 pound -tied) - 1.