Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies
Cooking time45 min
How to make very good apple hand pies that offer an amazing taste? This salted caramel apple hand pies recipe makes you familiarize with a simple way of making excellent apple pies. 10 hand pies can be made with this apple hand pies recipe.
For making the dough
1) Baking powder, salt and flour should be whisked together in a large bowl. After placing the cubed butter, your fingers need to be used for mixing the butter into the flour. You have to make sure that the mixture achieves wet sand consistency.
2) Sour cream has to be stirred in and the dough should be turned onto a work surface that is floured properly. The dough has to be kneaded a couple of times and check whether it comes together well. Extra flour can be added and you must ass one teaspoon at a time if you find that the dough shows stickiness. The dough must be rolled into a rectangle (8-inch/10-inch) and the two sides should be dusted using flour. Then it should be folded into thirds like folding a letter.
3) The dough has to be rotated 90 degrees and it must again be rolled into a rectangle exactly like the previous one. Once again, the dough must be folded into thirds. Then, it needs to be wrapped in a secure way in a plastic wrap before refrigerating for half an hour at least.
For making the filling
1) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and apples must be combined in a small bowl and stirred to mix well prior to setting aside.
For assembling the pies
1) The oven has to be preheated to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit. After taking out the dough from the refrigerator, it should be unfolded onto a surface that is properly floured. Then, you have to roll it into a square. (14/14-inch)
2) Maximum number of circles has to be cut with the help of a circular cookie cutter (three-inch) and re-rolled the scraps. Then, you need to keep on cutting out circles to finish off the dough. Make sure that you get around twenty three-inch circles.
3) Six dough circles should be placed on a Silpat. A tiny portion of the apple filling has to be spooned into each circle’s center. Check whether there is adequate border around the filling. A pinch of sea salt and caramels should be used as toppings over the apple filling. Another dough circle must be placed on top every filled circle and the edges have to be crimped together with the help of a fork. It allows you to seal every pie.
4) Each pie should be brushed using egg wash. Two to three vents need to be made on each pie top with a knife. If you want, pies can be sprinkled with crystal sanding sugar.
5) The pies need to be baked for around 15 minutes and make sure that they turn golden brown.
6) The pies have to be removed from the oven and let them sit for 10 minutes prior to serving. The filling and baking processes have to be repeated with rest dough circles.
- #Ingredients needed for the dough#
- Cold sour cream – 1/2 cup.
- Unsalted butter (Cold) – 1 cup. (It should be cut into cubes)
- Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon.
- All-purpose flour - 2 cups.
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon.
- #Ingredients for the filling#
- Store brought soft caramels – 8 nos. (They must be chopped in a rough way)
- All purpose flour – 2 teaspoons.
- Sugar – 1/4 cup.
- Cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon.
- Fresh lemon juice – 2 teaspoons.
- Granny Smith apples - 2 cups. (Small diced and peeled)
- #Finishing touches#
- Crystal sanding sugar (Optional)
- Flake sea salt (Large)
- Egg wash (It can be made by whisking one egg in light way with one tablespoon of water)