Cooking time45 min
If you are searching for a recipe that helps you make a dish that the whole family loves, this sausage calzones recipe is the best source to rely on. This sausage calzones recipe offers a yield of 8 servings and total time needed for cooking is 85 minutes.
1) Two large rimmed baking sheets (17/11-inch) must be placed in the oven.
2) Oven should be preheated to 450 Degree Fahrenheit. (Leave the pan in the oven as it preheats)
3) Pizza dough pieces have to be placed on a surface that is floured in a light way and each one needs to be covered using a plastic wrap.
4) Leave it for 20 minutes.
5) One tablespoon oil should be heated in a large skillet (medium heat) and then, cooked after adding sausage for 10 minutes. (Stir often and stop when it becomes crumbled and browned)
6) After stirring in the tomatoes (Crush using a wooden spoon), pepper, salt, oregano, parsley, basil and garlic should be added.
7) They need to be brought to boil under over medium-high heat and after reducing the heat, it must be simmered for 10 minutes. Then, remove from the heat.
8) After cutting the dough into 4 equal parts, each one needs to be rolled to an 8-inch circle on a surface that is floured in a light way.
9) Two sets of dough circles containing 4 each have to be moved to two parchment papers.
10) 3/4 cup of sausage mixture should be spread over the dough circles and each has to be topped with 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella.
11) After whisking water and egg together, a small quantity of egg mixture has to be brushed around the edges of the dough circles.
12) The dough must be folded over the filling and the edges have to be pressed and crimped to seal.
13) One parchment paper with unbaked calzones should be slid onto a baking sheet in a careful way.
14) This process has to be repeated with the remaining calzones and sheets.
15) The dough pieces must be baked in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes and you can stop when they become crisp and golden brown. (After 9 or 10 minutes, pans need to be switched from top rack to bottom rack)
16) Leave them for 5 minutes prior to serving with marinara sauce on the side.
- Water- 1 teaspoon.
- Jarred marinara sauce - for dipping purpose
- Large eggs - 2 nos. (Largely beaten)
- Low moisture part-skim mozzarella (Pre-shredded) - 16 ounces.
- Black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon.
- Kosher salt - 1 tablespoon.
- Fresh oregano (Chopped) - 2 teaspoons.
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley (Chopped) - 1 tablespoon.
- Fresh basil (Chopped) - 1 tablespoon.
- Garlic cloves - 2 no. (Minced)
- Whole San Marzano tomatoes (Drained) - 2 Cans. (28 ounces)
- Ground sweet Italian sausage - 2 pounds.
- Extra virgin olive oil - 3 tablespoons. (Divided)
- Fresh deli pizza pieces - 2 no. (1 lb)