Short Rib Ragu
Cooking time30 min
Do you know how to make a hearty, earthy ragu that offers an extremely satisfying taste? This short rib ragu recipe teaches you how to make such a dish and with the ingredients recommended, you can serve it for 8 to 10 people. Gremolata
All ingredients must be mixed in a small bowl.
Let sit at room temperature for 60 minutes before serving.
Short Rib Ragu
First of all, oven should be preheated to 350 degrees.
You have to soak dried mushrooms in 2 cups of boiling water.
Ribs must be seasoned with salt and pepper.
The next step is to heat oil in a large pot over medium heat until shimmering.
Then, ribs have to be browned in batches for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
You should pour 1 tablespoon of accumulated fat from pot.
Now, you have to saute onion, celery and carrot until turned soft.
Garlic must be added.
Stir well fragrance comes out.
A hot spot must be created in the pot by moving the vegetables aside. (You need to make sure that you are leaving about a 3-inch radius bare).
Anchovy paste and tomato paste have to be added to the hot spot.
You must stir in a vigorous manner until caramelized.
Then, it should be stirred into the vegetables.
Add red wine to deglaze.
You have to cook until 50% of liquid is reduced.
Add Worcestershire sauce.
Mustard and mushrooms should also be added.
Soaking liquid needs to be added as well. (Minus the last 1/4n inches to keep the sediments out of the dish).
Finally, add herbs.
Ribs should be added to the spot.
They must be filled with chicken stock or water. (Make sure that the ribs are neatly covered).
The liquid must be brought to a boil.
It has to be covered in a tight manner.
Braise in oven for 3 hours. (Stop when the ribs fall apart tender).
Remove ribs and set aside to cool.
Take out bay leaves and discard.
The braising liquid must be pureed using an immersion blender until turned thick.
You have to set over medium-low heat if you find the sauce thin.
Bones and large pieces of fat from ribs.
Shred the beef and return to the pot.
Take out from heat and cool it by leaving in the room temperature.
Skim big pools of fat from the surface.
It must be refrigerated overnight.
When you take it out, additional fat should be removed from the surface before reheating.
It can be served over polenta.
Gremolata needs to be sprinkled.
- Bacon fat, lard or oil – 1 tablespoon.
- Medium-sized carrots – 2nos. (They should be diced).
- Bone-in short ribs – 5to 6 pounds.
- Kosher salt – to taste.
- Ground black pepper – to taste.
- Large onion – 1 no. (It must be diced).
- Tomato paste- 2 tablespoons.
- Celery stalks- 2 nos. (They must be diced).
- Anchovy paste – 1 tablespoon.
- Finely chopped garlic cloves (large) – 2 nos.
- Red wine – 1/2 bottle
- Dijon mustard – 1 tablespoon.
- Dried porcini mushrooms – 1 ounce.
- Fire roasted whole tomatoes and juice- 14 ounces.
- Worcestershire sauce – 3 to 4 dashes.
- Rosemary sprig – 1 large no. (Leaves must be chopped).
- Dried oregano – 1 teaspoon.
- Dried thyme – 1 teaspoon.
- Bay leaves – 2 nos.
- Chicken stock or water
- Gremolata (recipe follows)