Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Cooking time45 min
This strawberry rhubarb pie recipe teaches you how to combine strawberry and rhubarb to make a pie with a stunning flavor. If you want, you can make the pie in advance. The total time needed for cooking this dish come around 6 hours and the yield of this strawberry rhubarb pie recipe is one pie.
1) For making two crusts, you have to make the filling by stirring in vanilla extract, orange juice, salt, corn starch, granulated sugar, brown sugar and strawberries in a big bowl.
2) The oven has to be preheated to 400 Degrees Fahrenheit.
3) One disc of chilled dough should be rolled on a floured surface (Keep the second one in the refrigerator) and after every couple of rolls, the dough needs to be turned around a quarter to form a circle with 12-inch diameter.
4) After taking a 9/2-inch pie dish, the dough has to be placed into it and using your fingers, it should be tucked in to make smooth.
5) The filling has to be spooned into the crust and the excess liquid must be kept in the bowl.
6) The butter pieces have to be dotted on top of the filling.
7) The other disk of chilled pie must be taken out from the refrigerator and the dough has to be rolled into a circle with 12-inch diameter.
8) The strips should be cut into 1-inch wide pieces using a pizza cutter or sharp knife and they
should be threaded over and under one another. (They need to be pulled down if necessary
9) The strip edges must be pressed into the edges of bottom pie crust to seal.
10) The excess dough should be trimmed off using a small knife and the edges have to be crimped with the help of a fork. (If needed)
11) The pie crust top must be brushed in a light way using the egg-milk mixture and the top needs to be sprinkled with using coarse sugar if wanted.
12) After placing the pie into a big baking sheet, it has to be baked for 20 minutes and the temperature should be reduced to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit and baked for an extra 25 to 30 minutes while keeping the pie in the oven. (It is a good option to place a pie crust shield on the top part of the pie for preventing the edges from getting browned in a fast manner)
13) The pie has to be kept at room temperature for three hours to cool down and during this period, the filling gets thickened up.
14) The leftovers can be covered in a tight way and stored in the refrigerator for 5 days.
- Large egg – 1 no. (It needs to be beaten using 1 tablespoon milk)
- Unsalted – butter – 2 tablespoons. (You need to cut it into tiny pieces)
- Pure vanilla extract – 1/2 teaspoon.
- Orange juice – 1 tablespoon.
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon.
- Corn starch – 1/4 cup.
- Granulated sugar – 1/3 cup.
- Light brown sugar (Packed) – 1/3 cup.
- Strawberries (Chopped) – 2 1/2 cups.
- Rhubarb (Sliced) – 3 cups. (You have to make it into 1/2-inch pieces)
- Coarse sugar – For garnishing (Optional)