The Best Homemade Ketchup
Cooking time45 min
Generally speaking, Roma tomatoes are used to make sauces. It is being done because of their excellent flavor and low moisture content. The best homemade ketchup recipe makes use of a combination of heirloom cherry tomatoes and Roma hybrids to make unusually flavorsome ketchup.
The best homemade ketchup can be made within 1 hour 20 minutes and with the quantity mentioned in this recipe, you can make 2 cups.
1) A single layer of cheesecloth must be prepared. (It has to be square in shape and make sure that it is capable of accommodating all spices with adequate room for folding and securing the contents).
2) Allspice, chile flakes, celery seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and cloves should be placed in the middle part of the cheesecloth.
3) The cloth needs to be closely folded and a kitchen twine must be used to secure.
4) A medium-sized stock pot should be taken and, the spice packet, garlic, chile, onion, sugar, vinegar, salt and tomatoes have to be placed into the stock pot. (Make sure that there is adequate space for tomatoes with some extra room).
5) They should be cooked for 30 minutes over medium heat. (You need to ensure that the onions turn limp and translucent and, chile and tomatoes become soft).
6) The spice packet has to be taken out and discarded.
7) The ketchup should be processed with the help of a tiny disk in the food mill back into the stock pot. (If you do not have a food mill, the ketch can be run through the blender and strained through a mesh strainer).
8) The pot has to be covered and cooked for 20 to 30 minutes over medium-low heat. (Stop when you get the preferred thickness).
9) This ketchup can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks.
- Bay leaf - 1 no.
- Whole cloves - 4 nos.
- Whole all spice - 1/4 teaspoon.
- Cinnamon stick - 1 no.
- Chile flakes - 1/4 teaspoon.
- Celery seeds - 1/4 teaspoon.
- White vinegar- 1/2 cup.
- Roughly chopped tomatoes - 2 pounds.
- Light brown sugar - 5 tablespoons.
- Kosher salt - 1 1/2 teaspoon.
- Pressed garlic clove - 1 no.
- Chopped yellow onion - 1 no.
- Kitchen twine
- Anaheim chile - 1 no. (It should be de-seeded and chopped).